A team of judges consisting of Acta Materialia, Scripta Materialia, and Acta Biomaterialia editors has completed the evaluation of nominees for the above awards. Each year we receive many excellent nominations and selecting the winners is a challenging task. Several factors are considered in the evaluation of each nominee: the quality of paper, or papers, for which he or she was nominated, recommendation letters, and leadership potential. The awardees selected from papers published in 2013 in the Acta Journals are:
- Dr. Zafir Alam, Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL), Hyderabad & Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, INDIA (now at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA). Advisors, Prof. Vikram Jayaram, Dr. Dipak Das, Dr. Samir Kamat. “Tensile behavior of a free-standing Pt-aluminide (PtAl) bond coat,” Acta Materialia 61, (2013), 1093-1105
- Mr. Dor Amram, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, ISRAEL. Advisor, Prof. Eugen Rabkin. “Phase transformations in Au(Fe) nano- and microparticles obtained by solid state dewetting of thin Au-Fe bilayer films”, Acta Materialia 61, (2013), 5130-5143.
- Dr. Brennan Bailey – Texas A&M University, USA (now at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland). Advisor, Prof. Melissa Grunlan. “Tissue engineering scaffolds fabricated with continuous property gradients for rapidly screening cell-material interactions.” Acta Biomater 2013;9:8254–8261.
- Dr. André Butscher – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, SWITZERLAND (now at RMS Foundation, Switzerland). Advisor, Prof. Ralph Müller. “New depowdering-friendly designs for three-dimensional printing of calcium phosphate bone substitutes.” Acta Biomater 2013;9:9149-58.
- Ms. Sabba Dharani, Nanyang Technological University, SINGAPORE. Advisor, Prof. Subodh Mhaisalkar. “High-surface-area, interconnected, nanofibrillar TiO2 structures as photoanodes in dye-sensitized solar cells”, Scripta Materialia, 68, (2013), 487-49.
- Dr. Tingping Hou, Wuhan University of Science and Technology, CHINA (now at University of Cambridge, U.K.). Advisor, Prof. Kaiming Wu. “Alloy carbide precipitation in the tempered 2.25Cr-Mo steel under high magnetic field,” Acta Materialia, 61, (2013), 2016-2024.
- Dr. Michael M. Porter, University of California-San Diego, USA (now at Clemson University, USA). Advisor, Prof. Joanna McKittrick. “Highly deformable bones: unusual deformation mechanisms of seahorse armor.” Acta Biomater 2013;9:6763-6770.
- Mr. Agung Purnama, Laval University, CANADA. Advisor, Prof. Diego Mantovani.“Gene expression profile of 3T3 fibroblasts exposed to a biodegradable iron alloy for stents.” Acta Biomater 2013;9:8746-8753.
- Dr. Hillary Smith, California Institute of Technology, USA. Advisor, Prof. Brent Fultz. "Changes in vibrational entropy during the early stages of chemical unmixing in fcc Cu-6%Fe," Acta Materialia, 61 (2013), 7466-7472.
- Mr. Yang Tong, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA. Advisor, Prof. Wojciech Dmowski. “Recovering compressive plasticity of bulk metallic glasses by high-temperature creep”, Scripta Materialia, 69 (2013), 570–573.
The editors would like to congratulate the awardees and thank all the nominees for their participation. We wish them all the best in their careers.
Coordinating Editor, Acta Journals